Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Top Ten Books On My TBR For Summer 2015

   



Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted at The Broke and The Bookish. Every Tuesday a topic is supplied, which you then make a top ten list out of.


Hey Guys, as per usual this week's TTT isn't particularly fitting to the title. I don't find that my reading habits change with the seasons, so none of these books are particularly summery reads, but since I'm from the UK we don't get much of a summer anyway. My TBR pile has grown significantly over the past few months, so I've taken to reading my books based roughly in the order I've owned the longest which means I've owned most of these since last year. No new releases on this list! Onto the books...



1. Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead - Okay, so I know this isn't actually just one book, but I've gotten into the habit of binge reading series where possible so you'll be seeing a lot of this on the list. I actually started the first book in this series a couple of days ago, and so far so good!


2. Under The Never Sky Trilogy by Veronica Rossi - This was a auto buy after seeing Lainey from Ginger Reads Lainey on YouTube recommend it. I don't know why I haven't gotten around to this yet (well I do, it's because I have a ton of books to read), but I'm looking forward to it.


3. Ashes Trilogy by Isla J. Bick - I actually didn't realise this was a series and bought the third book from The Works (a discount book site in the UK) on a deal thinking it was a standalone. Obviously once it arrived I found out I'd just bought the last book in a trilogy, so I looked up reviews on Goodreads and actually found it was rated fairly well, and bought the first two of Book Depository.


4. The Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout - I impulse bought these shortly after completing the Lux series by Jennifer because I enjoyed it so much I wanted to read more of her writing. Unfortunately, by the time they arrived I'd moved on to something else and ended up overlooking these. Hopefully now there's some structure to the order in which I'm reading I'll get round to these fairly soon.


5. Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld - These books have always been on the edge of my radar since they came out, but I never felt compelled to buy them. Last year I saw a couple of reviews of them and decided it was about time I give them a try, so I picked up the boxset. They seem to be a bit like marmite, with people either loving or hating them, so I'm interested to see which side I fall on.


6. Handling The Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist - This was another of the books I bough ton a deal from The Works. I hadn't really heard of it before, but I'm always up for a zombie book so I chucked it in the cart. I'm a sucker for a good deal!

7. The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey - This had a lot of hype surrounding it when it was first released, and again it had a zombie sounding feel to it so I was instantly intrigued. When I was out shopping with my dad he said he'd buy me a few books, so I picked this up.

8. Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld - I bought this around the time it was released, it was hard not to with all the press around it. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it, and I know the main character is LGBTQ and there's a need for more diverse books and characters out there so I'm more than happy to support the cause.


9. The Restless Dead by Deborah Noyes - This is a short story anthology based around horror (obviously), and I'm going through both a horror and short story phase at the moment so this was a no brainer. It's also so a few well known names to it such as Holly Black, Libba Bray, and Marcus Sedgwick making it even more tempting.

10. Zombies vs Unicorns by Holly Black & Justine Larbalestier - Another short story anthology with zombies, one of horrors most well known monsters, and edited by Holly Black! I couldn't say no to this one, I mean zombies AND unicorns?! What is this madness?
If this lives up to expectations, then it's what I've been waiting for my whole life.


Well that's all of em'. I know, I know, technically there are 27 books on this list, not 10. What can I say, rules are made to be broken. Or at the very least bended slightly. I've noticed a predominant zombie/horror theme running through this post, clearly I was very much in a horror zone at the end of last year. I'm not complaining.

What books are on your summer TBR? Have you read any of these? What did you think? Are you crazy for zombie horror like me? Let's eat brains together, AARRGHHH!

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Vampire Academy!! That's one of my favorite series. I hope you love it. The Uglies series and Covenant series are also pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm about half way through the first book, so far it's good but nothing amazing, but I can definitely see it getting better! I hope so. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Some great book choices here Caitlin! I've only read the first book of VA but I loved it. I've heard really good things about Jennifer L Armentrout and Scott Westerfeld too.
    Hope you enjoy all of your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're in the same boat as me then, I'm about halfway through the first, so far so good. Same here so I hope they're right! I hope you enjoy your books too!

      Delete
  3. Hoping you like what you have on your list, but at least if you don't, you have a beautiful post! All of these covers are gorgeous. I feel like I always lean towards similar covers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so nice! I know what you mean, I think the Covenant series covers are definitely the most beautiful to me. Great minds think alike and all that. :)

      Delete
  4. OH OH The Girl with all the Gifts is INCREDIBLE. Although my brain read it as "The Girl with all the GIFS" ahhaha. And yes, there were no gifs in the book. So disappointing. ;-) But so much awesome and grey areas and zombies and I ship the teacher and the army general so hard. AHEM. I kind of want to read Vampire Academy, but also kind of not. I'm just nervous because I haven't read many good vampire books!! I hope they're epic, though!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the exact same problem sometimes! Some book titles are just so darn easy to mess up. Gifs in a book, now THAT would be cool! Definitely made me more excited to read it. I was exactly the same with VA, it's also a pretty long series so that amped up the intimidation levels. I've seen so many good reviews on it that I thought I'll just give it a go and see what happens!

      Delete