Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Top Ten Books I'd Love To See As Movies/TV Shows



Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted at The Broke and The Bookish. Every Tuesday a topic is supplied, which you then make a top ten list out of.


Hey Guys, This week's TTT was so hard to narrow down to just ten books. I want to see most of the books I've read turned into a movie or TV show! An issue most people will probably mention in this weeks post is the quality of the adaptation. Although recently book to movie adaptations have improved in quality, it's hard to forgive when someone makes a movie out of your favourite book and completely butchers it. I would bet on it that it's happened to every bookworm at some point or another, which makes adaptations a terrifying concept.

For example, look at all the hate Cassandra Clare has been getting on twitter over the cast of the new Shadowhunters TV show. Even though she has no say in who is or isn't cast, people are taking it out on her. I have a feeling everyone's as equally worried as they are excited for the show, due to the movie bombing so terribly. There's so many examples of them going wrong that people almost talk less about the one's that get it right, like TFIOS, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Warm Bodies, and that's only a few! Regardless, everyone gets excited when they hear a book they've enjoyed going to the big screen. So here are a few I would both squeal with excitement and tremble with fear over if they got optioned.



 


1. All of Rainbow Rowells Books! - I know, I know! First one and I'm already bending the rules, gimme a break okay?! It was crazy difficult narrowing it down. Anyway, I think each and every one of her books would make the best movies. However, these are some of the books that if it got done wrong I would be furious and heartbroken. The people that adapted John Greens books would be perfect for putting these into movie form.


     


2. Dark Places and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - I haven't actually seen the Gone Girl movie yet (or read the book! Shh) but I have heard it was done really well. These books just read like a thriller movie, making them ripe pickings to actually become one. They'd be deliciously creepy and gripping, I know I'd definitely want to see them.




3. Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas - I only read this one recently and couldn't help thinking the whole way through how well it would translate to screen. The way it jumps back and forth in time makes me interested in knowing how they could format it as a movie. It would be the perfect chick flick style thriller.




4. Say Her Name by James Dawson - This book would make the kind of movie that would be perfect for a gaggle of teenage girls to watch on a Halloween sleepover. The kind of horror movie that's a perfect introduction into the genre, being a bit cheesy and predictable but still with frights abundant throughout.

5. Sick by Tom Leveen - I can imagine this being along the same line as Warm Bodies when made into a movie. Similar to above, the perfect horror for teens who also like a bit of comedy mixed in. I'm by no means a zombie-flick expert, but I can't think of any movies that would be similar to this.

6. The Merciless by Danielle Vega - Again, a similar concept as the last two, the perfect girly teen horror. A bit stereotypical? Yes. Infuriating choices made by the main character? Yeah. Predicatble? You got it. Despite all this it would still make a great film, albeit one that isn't for the movie critics out there. But hey, why fix something that isn't broken?




7. Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix - This is just asking to be turned into a parody horror comedy. I mean, a horror story in an Ikea?! I can't think of anyone who wouldn't want to go see this, even only out of curiosity.

8. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black - Think the Twilight movies, but actually good. I love this book for actually managing to make something new in the YA vampire genre. Since Twilight, any YA paranormal section if infested with vampire novels, 80% of which are just the same story repeated but with slight differences so as to avoid copyright but guarantee a sale. This would make a beautiful movie, I can picture it done in Tim Burton's style and actually start drooling a little.




9. Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter - I imagine this as a TV series like Vampire Diaries but with zombies. I'd love to see some of the Alice in Wonderland elements represented a little stronger in a TV show, as they were pretty subtle in the books. Because of the type of plot this trilogy follows I think it could be kept going for longer than what's been written so far, there's always new adventures the crew could be having.

10. Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol - This would make the best kid's cartoon ever! But one of those kid's cartoons that loads of adults watch too just because it's so freaking funny. It's so easy to picture it as a cartoon already too because it's a graphic novel so the artworks there, it just needs to be animated. 

So that's all of em'. There were so many more I could have included but I would have been writing this all day if I did that. Some of my favourites are actually being made into movies as we speak, including Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Legend, and Monument 14.

What books would you like to see adapted to the screen? Are there any upcoming book to movie releases you're excited for? How do you feel about book to screen adaptations on a whole? 








9 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't read any of these! I can't really agree or disagree with you, but I do recognize a lot of the titles, so I imagine there are a lot of people out there who would love them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! I really recommend Rainbow Rowell's books if you're ever looking for a new read. A couple of the books on the list, like The Merciless, weren't actually that great but I can imagine them translating into movies really well. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I'm so glad you mentioned Warm Bodies because I also loved that movie adaptation. In fact, my hubby did too, and he usually doesn't like either YA movie adaptations or zombies! Here's my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Warm Bodies is definitely one of the better book to movie adaptations. I had a similar experience, except I watched it with my parents, and they really enjoyed it which is unusual for them for the same reasons you mentioned. I'll definitely have a read of your TTT!

      Delete
  3. What a neat list! I really want to go read Warm Bodies now. I loved the movie, but I wasn't sure how the book was in comparison. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm Bodies is definitely just as good (if not better) in book form, though the movie is amazing too!

      Delete
  4. Dangerous Girls was on my list too. I hope you get a chance to see the Gone Girl movie soon, it's fabulous. I have yet to read Sharp Objects, but I have read Dark Places and whilst I enjoyed it, I won't be going to see the movie version (there is a movie version coming out in August in case you didn't know with Charlize Theron) becuase there are certain parts of that book I just would not want to see on screen!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'll get to watch the Gone Girl movie soon too! I didn't know but thanks for telling me, I do understand what you're saying about the content but I guess if I've read something then seeing it isn't too shocking. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed bits to make it more suitable for more audiences.

      Delete
  5. Oohhh I haven't read any of these but they all look so good! Rainbow Rowell is next on my TBR, as are Holly Black and Gillian Flynn. Anya's Ghost looks totally adorable, too - I'm definitely adding that one on my list!

    ReplyDelete