Thursday, 4 June 2015

Review: Through the Woods by Emily Carroll


Synopsis:
'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.'

Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss.

These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll.

Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there...

I can't remember how I came across this book, but boy am I glad I did. I've only recently begun my foray into graphic novels, yet I've yet to find one that let me down, Through the Woods included.

This is the first horror themed graphic novel I've read, and I can't imagine a better one to have started with. I wouldn't describe as horror in the expected way's horror normally is. There's no gore or graphic images, nothing that you would usually come across in YA horror.

So it's not scary in the usual way. It's more of an unsettling type of fear. The kind that keeps you looking over your shoulder, and checking for creatures in the shadows that creep in the corners of your room. It's similar to the original faerie tales, before they were all made PG and given the Disney treatment (not that there is in fact anything wrong with the Disney versions).

The artwork is deliciously creepy, and hauntingly beautiful. There's a main colour scheme of black, white and vivid red, making the illustrations all that much more immersive. 

Overall this was a captivating, mystical, and dark read. It was also a quick read but by no means did this detract from the experience. It's the type of book you savour each and every page of. Possibly one of the easiest 5 star ratings I've ever given. I couldn't recommend this more if I tried, just go read it! 


Have you read any graphic novels in the horror genre? If so, which ones have you loved? How do you feel about graphic novels as a whole?




6 comments:

  1. Yes, I loved this book for all the same reasons! I too am pretty much a graphic novel novice. I have read a decent amount of comics though (I will read anything penned by Neil Gaiman, Jonathan Maberry, or Ed Brubaker). I love the medium, and my artist's heart loves the word and picture marriage, especially when it is done so well.
    Very nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors! I totally agree on loving the medium of graphic novels, although my true love is with words, I can't resist beautiful art (really I'm just jealous I have no artistic talent).

      Delete
  2. AHHH I NEED THIS. I haven't even heard of it and that cover has already sucked me in (plus I quite like graphic novels and haven't read nearly enough of them). I'm googling this ASAP. YAY for this recommendation!!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH YOU DO! It definitely hasn't had nearly as much hype as it deserves, I get what you're saying with the cover, I only bought it based on that! I didn't even know it was a graphic novel, I know it's bad to cover buy but I just couldn't help myself. You're more than welcome, I'm a huge fan of your blog!

      Delete
  3. I've never read a graphic novel before, would Through the Woods be a good starting point?! Loved the review!
    Ayesha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not a bad place to start. Thank you!

      Delete